The human stomach is an amazing creation, for when you really think about it, most of the time it works nonstop on digesting our food and absorbing the nutrients without causing you any problems. And when you do experience some kind of trouble with your stomach, it’s usually due to something you ate or drank that doesn’t agree with you and isn’t really your stomach’s fault. However, there is one kind of problem that is happening more and more among people, and that is acid reflux.
Our stomachs naturally contain gastric juices or stomach acids that break down the food particles and make it easier for our bodies to absorb the nutrients found in them. However, only the stomach is equipped to hold these acids, and even when the digested food reaches our small intestines, the acids found in the food is neutralized at once by basic compounds like bicarbonate produced by the pancreas that prevent the acids from harming your small intestines. On the opposite end of the stomach is the esophagus where the food slides down from your mouth to your stomach. The esophagus is especially sensitive to the stomach acids, and when the acids find their way up to the esophagus, the irritation causes pain. This condition is called acid reflux.
Chronic acid reflux is called gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD), and severe cases lead to a badly damaged esophagus. Sometimes the acids even eat away the lower esophageal sphincter that normally blocks them from rising towards the esophagus. GERD can be treated with special medicines like proton-pump inhibitors, while surgery can help fix the sphincter and the esophagus. To keep occasional acid reflux from evolving into GERD, you can make use of natural remedies to keep the problem from getting worse, and the apple cider vinegar benefits listed below may just be what you are looking for.
– Apple cider vinegar is a natural source of pectin, a healthy soluble fiber that keeps your digestive system (and stomach acids) working well.
– Because apple cider vinegar comes from fresh apples, the organic and unfiltered versions still contain lots of nutrients, and even if you take the liquid everyday, you’ll get no added fats and calories whatsoever. This makes the vinegar a popular weight loss tool favored by many since it gives no reactions like HCG Diet side effects or low-carbohydrate diet fatigue.
– A small whiff of the aroma of apple cider vinegar can already make your mouth water. Saliva helps neutralize stomach acids in the esophagus, so drinking a little of the liquid can effectively stop acid reflux.
– For a healthy drink you can enjoy everyday for preventing and controlling acid reflux, add four tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and two teaspoons of honey to a glass of water. The vinegar will wash the stomach acids down while the honey can soothe the irritated esophagus.
- Make Your Own Apple Cider Vinegar Toner (detoxcleansing.org)
- Super Colon Cleanse (brutusreport.wordpress.com)
Apple Cider Vinegar: Acid Reflux Help